Sunday, January 2, 2011

CIM Graduate Profile: Leean Orama


Which CIM university did you attend and when did you graduate?  L Orama
I graduated from NJIT on May 17, 2010.

How has the CIM program prepared you for your graduation from NJIT and entrance into the business world? 
The CIM program has not only broadened my knowledge in every aspect of the concrete industry, but also in the general construction business as well. The curriculum is designed to prepare its students not only to understand the building materials, but how to market and sell them to the masses as well as effectively run any concrete operation. The CIM program has engaged my interests in a wide field of construction sectors and that has allowed me to effectively diversify my interests. This in turn has helped me gain an edge and has helped me network across these different fields and pursue endless opportunities. Consequently I am thrilled to have been hired as a Field Engineer by the Turner Construction Company.

What advice would you give to other current CIM students? 
I would tell every current CIM student to not limit their interests to a specific facet of the concrete industry. As we all know concrete has many different markets and products that can virtually cater to every student's interests whether it's the management, research and development, product design, or the sales and marketing of whichever concrete market they wish to pursue.

The CIM program works with businesses in providing summer internships. Have you been able to take advantage of that program or any other special program to develop your industry knowledge? 
During the summer of my freshman year, I was able to intern for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in their estimating department. I learned engineering fundamentals early on that helped me during consequent years of school. During my sophomore year, I was hired as a Corporate Operations intern with Sika Corporation, a national patron of the CIM program. My final year in school I interned with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey once again, but this time with their Materials Engineering Department where I got to demonstrate every day at work what I've learned in our core lab classes. This internship was very exciting because I got to work overnight concrete pours on the World Trade Center project at Ground Zero.

Have you been able to interact with the CIM patrons at NJIT? If so, in what capacity? 
The CIM patrons have been very generous with their time and resources to make this program a success. Every semester the CIM department scheduled industry professionals to come in and give us comprehensive presentations of their companies and their functions within the company. These are not only very informative, but also a wonderful networking opportunity of which our students take full advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment